11 September 2009

Eight years later, it's still a difficult day

Today is September 11. Throughout the entire world, everyone remembers the tragedies of the Twin Towers, the Pentagon, and the doomed PA flight. Just like everyone else, I can never forget this day.

Yes, I was here in Charlotte. Yes, my parents were traveling then. Yes, my sister and brother were nowhere near the city. Thus, I didn't have to worry about my immediate family (though my cousin was right near the Pentagon that day). Nonetheless, it still hits me hard...every year...without fail.

I find it always the case that on September 11 I remain at home, watching the inevitable shows on the History Channel which replay the timeline and footage from the horrific event. I don't know if it's some sort of patriotism I feel, whether it's astonishment at the courage shown by so many that day in their heroic efforts, or the sorrow for the victims and, probably more so, the families of the victims who think of their loved ones daily. I suspect it's all of that and more I've yet to identify.

Earlier this evening, I was linked to a YouTube clip from David Letterman's show, the first following the tragedy (Sept. 17). He appears on the verge of breaking down and gives huge kudos to Rudy Giuliani for being such a good leader. He explains how he felt it so imperative to return to work, as Giuliani had said. For if we didn't try to return to our lives, he knew -- we all knew -- they would have won.

Fark, too, recognized the historic importance of today and linked to the original postings during the event. The last post listed, from Corporate Mofo, notes, "This is Ken's roommate. He is currently stuck downtown in the midst of a bomb threat on the Empire State Building. A suspicious packaged believed to be a bomb has been found. He will update you when he makes it back to the apartment." One wonders if Ken made it back all right. We can only hope.

Yes, this day affects me greatly every year. It's not just because I'm a NYer (still, and always, at heart). It's not just because of the victims that I knew. I think it's because it reminds us that we're all in this together. I remember a few things incredibly vividly from that day: awaiting responses from my friends up there, the rose that my then-boyfriend sorrowfully brought over to me, praying in a church here in Charlotte with a friend that evening. But really, I remember the sense of togetherness, patriotism, and determination that we all felt following the attacks, and how truly strong and united our States felt.

Now, eight years later, I sit here and begin to wonder, have we lost that all..? Or have we forgotten, though we promised we never would?

No comments:

Post a Comment