11 September 2009

Family makes dreams achievable

Amidst reflecting on the last post, and, admittedly, continuing to watch the History Channel on September 11 events, I received a notification that Beth is following me on Twitter. Who knew she was on Twitter? And who knew that not only is she on Twitter, but she's tweeted more than I? Aww...Mental note: look/read/examine before one writes a tweet...sigh.

I tweeted back my surprise and noted that she must now link her blog with her tweets so that we'd all know when she posted a new entry. Of course, with my ADD, I again had to look up her blog once more to see if there were anything else I'd missed. I went through an ex-pat site to find her blog link (yeah, I know, I should be able to manipulate Google better than that). Perhaps it was something I needed to see...akin to the guy who bought my car who said perhaps he had a message I needed to hear. ("You can do this!" he exclaimed.)

The quote under her username?
"Happiness is the consequence of personal effort. You fight for it, strive for it, insist upon it, and sometimes even travel around the world looking for it."

I sent it to my parents, as my mother has been collecting inspiring dream quotes for me of late, lest I worry that I'm truly making a mistake of gigantic proportions...which sometimes I admit I wonder. ("Please don't let me kill my dog with the flight.") That led me to -- again, keep up with my ADD world -- the conversation I had last weekend with Mom and Dad...

(Wayne's World thing where we go back in time...do-do-do-do music, please)

Mom: Well, it's important to follow your dreams, and if you need help, we're here to help.
Daddy: (almost sternly) Yes, your mother and I feel very strongly about this. You need to do this, if this is what you want. We completely support you in your decision.

How am I so lucky to have such a phenomenal family? It makes me smile -- Mom wants me to do this move for its adventurousness (um...that's not really a word, is it? Wait -- it is!), which is exactly her spirit and influence. Daddy wants me to do it because he's always gone after what he wants toward success, both professionally and personally; that's his spirit and influence. And me? I think I inherited both sides from them and am absolutely astounded that I am as lucky as I am to be born into the family I was. When one has so much support and love, how could one ever not chase one's dreams..?

In a dozen days (or daze?) I'm leaving the Queen City world I've known forever (okay, for a decade and a half) to travel the world in search of happiness...or, at least, some successful adventure. This trying effort that has nearly driven me mad in the past few months will be worth it, whether I stay for six weeks or six years...or else.

Besides...Who ever really knows on which path one finds oneself?

1 comment:

  1. Great post! I especially like the parts about me. :P No, seriously, you are right- family support is essential. I, too, am lucky to have that support. They're sad, but always want the best for me in the end! I can't believe you're moving next week! Yay!

    ReplyDelete