06 October 2009

Andrea in London for a week. No blog post? BAD!

After a great sendoff with my fabulous family and a last night in Huntington with Casey and some guys who were SO Brooklyn/Long Island at the local pizza place ("Ok, hold for da shot -- one, two, tree..." Um. Ok), I was ready to leave my home country...kinda. (winks)

Mom and Daddy dropped me off at JFK on Tuesday afternoon. After checking in Star, relatively uneventfully (thank goodness!), we went to the passenger terminal, where my carry on baggage was WAY too heavy (about three times the allotted amount. The young girl at the Virgin Air counter was rather helpful, asking if I could transfer some to my (also too heavy) checked luggage. She seemed much more forgiving after seeing the Chelsea Handler book that Susie had given me for the flight. "Oh! I read that! It's great!" hehe...

Mom, Dad and I had a lovely drink together at the caviar bar in the airport. Once done, it was time to say our sad goodbyes...wait -- they're not "goodbyes," they're "till laters"...

Mom was a little bit tearful, Dad was a bit consoling and I was a bit excited. It's definitely not the last time I'll be in New York, of course!

My flatmate for the flight was a 27-year old rugby player/fireman (er, that is, officer of the fire brigade). He was absolutely huge and fun to talk to and told me to look him up if I'm ever in York. Um...ok.

Julian was awaing my arrival as planned, and we took my HUGE three suitcases and somehow miraculously fit them into his ol' skool Mini (none of that big-new-Mini-Cooper stuff here!). Of course, Star still had yet to fit in, too. Now that proved to be a bit of another challenge. She squashed in amongst the baggage and we were off. (This was, it must be noted, after we'd driven around in circles for nearly an hour trying to find the Animal Reception Centre. Sigh.)

I met Lewis, obtained my flat keys and we were off to see my first London flat. It's phenom and fab...and I love it. Bright, right on the High Street, great bedroom view (a la Oliver Twist or Sound of Music chimney sweeps or something). It's awesome.

Here are a few pics of the view...
The first three are looking from my living room window, then up and down the street. Please do note my fabulous photographic timing in getting the traditional red bus in the shot, thank you!

After getting my uber-heavy luggage up the three flights of stairs, Julian and I went to Sainsbury's to pick up household goods I'd need "straightaway." I picked up cheap plates, towels, glasses, etc. and also some groceries. It's really convenient to have this place up the street. It's like a Super Target, really -- clothes, groceries, home goods, camping equipment, whatever. There's also a huge Marks & Spencer attached, but I didn't go in there...a bit too pricey for my cheap blood at the moment. Sigh. Maybe once I have a job, pray tell..? (winks)

To celebrate my arrival and my newfound digs, Julian took me to Wimbledon, a quick trip up on the 151, 200, 57 buses. We, of course, opted for his car, so we could take Star to a pub with a beer garden. It was lots of fun and it really hit me during a jaunt to the bathroom (I know -- that sounds odd) that for the first time in my life, I don't have to leave in just a week. Like, I'm here for awhile. Of course, Julian then noted that means about 1,000 days, and that I should begin counting them down now. Oh, what fun to have a cynic as a friend. (winks)

We went back to my flat after having a quick spot of food and opened up the newly-purchased Sainsbury's champagne in my flat to celebrate. It really felt as though I've arrived, and I'm not even yet doing what I want to be (e.g. working, living, exploring). That all comes next -- and now -- as I begin to network, look and apply for jobs, try to get a bank account and Internet access within my flat, etc. Truth be told, it's been more overwhelming than I'd imagined. I don't know why I figured this would all be sorted out in just a few days' time, but that's so not seemed to be the case, sadly enough. I feel very unconnected to the outside world (where's my Twitter and iPhone?!?) and have limited use of phone/Internet. Ugh...It hurts for this chick who likes techno fun...


I'll of course write more about my first week's experiences soon (tomorrow?) but just must now find some more pounds -- the currency, not the weight -- to sort out more time at the Internet cafe. This stuff can get very pricey!

I've been overwhelmed, by the way, of the many good wishes and notes from my friends, and am so lucky I've got such great people behind me, supporting this move...most especially my parents. God love 'em for helping me as much as they have! Ah, again -- what would we do without the love and support of fabulous family and wonderful friends?

If anyone wants to reach me, by the way, you can call my new UK mobile. Love, love!

1 comment:

  1. Great to hear all the news. Sounds like you are settling in just fine!!! Thanks to Julian for arranging so much for you! He is a great friend. Looking forward to meeting him on my First Visit. : )

    XO Sophisticat.....

    ReplyDelete