23 October 2009

Getting a lay of the land...but still no Halloween here...

Now being in Londres for a few weeks, I'm starting to find my way around, especially within relation to my immediate lil' 'hood, Colliers Wood, where I'm even making friends with the local shop owners. I think I made a really great decision living in this area, though to be honest, I don't even know how it came about. I suspect it started during a conversation with Julian about living "south of the river" and then moved to the option of Wimbledon and the surrounding areas within the SW19 post code, as I'd found on RightMove. Or maybe I just got desperate and took the first place I could after the one flat deal fell through last minute and I started to freak out that Star and I would be homeless wandering around Piccadilly.

In any case, Colliers Wood is a relatively unknown little pocket in South West London. One can name Tooting (just slightly north) or Wimbledon (just slightly west) as landmarks, but say Colliers Wood and you're likely to get a tilted-head, confused look, akin to Star when I pose philosophical questions to her.

There is a nice park, Wandle, just a few blocks from my flat, where dogs are allowed off the leash to run around at will. Star and I enjoy a short, leisurely walk behind the high street to get there, smiling at the quaint little row houses that line the back streets. (Well, I smile. Mainly, she just sniffs.)

While I wasn't sure how our little StarBar was going to do with this off-the-leash bit, I gave her the opportunity to try. Perhaps it's best for me not to note here that it was when I was a bit perturbed with her having ripped open the garbage all over the kitchen. "Go! Find another home, then!" I said, as I took off her leash. She looked at me quizzically (yes, tipped head), as she's never known such freedom before. A few tentative sniffs and then she was off, running around, returning back every few seconds, and sitting in front of me awaiting a head-scratch in approval.
Since then, Star has proven herself worthy of the free-run-of-the-park...and I love it. She prances and chases squirrels, all of the while not (thank goodness!) attempting to bite children. I think this is what has finally made her happy to move here.

That said, I was again none too pleased when last night she decided to jump into the river Wandle whilst playing tag with a dalmatian. Sigh. Wet, stinky dog = not fun.

I'm also loving the local pub, The Colliers Tup. It's very reminiscent of my ol' Al Mike's or even my Selwyn Pub of yesteryear. Akin to Cheers, it's a place to meet up prior to catching the tube downtown (or to Central London...whatever) or just to unwind with a couple of drinks and laugh-y conversation, where you're guaranteed to always find a smiling, familiar face, both in its staff and patrons. Love it.

Trivia question of the day: Without clicking on the 'net, what in the heck is a "tup"? Yeah, it's pretty clear from the sign. I took a survey, however, and only one of the group answered confidently. Who knew? I then learned yet another English word. This whole vocabulary change has been fun..."I don't know her from a bar of soap" was one expression used the other night. And words like "minging" (adj. "dirty") and "nick" (v. "to steal") are now starting to enter my personal lexicon...mainly 'cos I just think they sound cool.

For example, I received a ring from my downstairs buzzer on Wednesday morning. When I asked who it was, I was told, "Royal Mail for delivery." Indeed! I, little ol' Andrea, was receiving Royal Mail? How absolutely fabulous and regal I felt...

I flew down the three flights, opened the door and signed for a package from the parents. Realizing the importance of the upcoming Halloween holiday, Mom and Dad sent me the most fun of care packages, filled with candy, a spooky electric ghost candle that glows, and some other treats. Hooray! A pic is to the left, of course, where one will clearly notice that Mom has yet again won another Peeps battle. Grr...

Wait, Mom. Just you wait. I'm certain they have an English equivalent to Peeps and I will have Her Majesty's Service delivery them personally to you across the pond! (winks)

3 comments:

  1. I know Colliers Wood! I'm on the look out in your pics for anything I might recognize (-nise!) Looks like you're settling right in.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Andrea!
    So glad to hear things are going well; I love your blog!

    I just talked to my friend Patrick via Skype, and he and his dad Andre, want to meet you! Andre offered to meet and help you out, show you around, whatever. They live in Hamstead Heath, so could show you around that area. He's super nice and very knowledgeable about the city. Patrick thought you might enjoy a gallery showing on Thursday night.

    Let me know if you get this, and what your e-mail address is so I can send you their contact info.

    Oh, and I'm planning to be there in April, so hopefully will see you then!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Do you not like Peeps? When I get over there, you are completely going to have someone to take those off your hands. :)

    ReplyDelete