15 August 2009

What are four walls, anyway?

I have officially become a cliche.

I stayed in last night (Friday) to Skype with Julian for a bit (poor thing got an earful of my moving woes, as is par for the course these days!), and then decided to order in Thai Taste and relax with some red wine and a movie. What do I watch? Ah, the epitome of chick flicks (at least, as they relate to moving to another country), Under the Tuscan Sun.

"...any arbitrary turning along the way and I would be elsewhere; I would be different...Unthinkably good things can happen, even late in the game..."

As much as I felt as though I've been so beat down by myriad challenges and ready to pack it in and forego this whole move entirely, I now find myself in an old, familiar place. I have this strength; I've always had it...it was just a bit dormant for a while.

The conversation with my fabulous Mom and Dad quelled such stress, I could kick myself for not speaking candidly with them earlier. Julian even noticed a change in my mindset, too. I'm back to my normally optimistic, flaky self, I think. Borough Market! Rugby games! Beautiful architecture! Nighttime over the Thames!

Issues? What issues? Everything is moving in the right direction, albeit slowly...

  • Dog documents sent to the Caribbean? Picked 'em up this morning.

  • Flat on which I'm still awaiting word? Meh, if it doesn't work out, I'll find another place.

  • Sale of my condo? Sent HOA docs to one realtor, still have two other backups/potential buyers.

  • Sale of car? List it on Auto Trader. Worst case? Sell it to Carmax. I'm still out ahead.
...and on it goes. Things are clearing up after my hysterical Wednesday (as it will be called in my personal history book). Clothes have been donated. Glassware is being boxed up. Rental car to NY is in quote process.

They say a tiger in a cage can never see the sun. I think I view this move as an escape from my cage. There's too much in this life to try, to experience, to see, and I'm one who wants to do it all. I've done most all that can be done here. Had I made different decisions, I'd not be doing this move. And I truly believe that it is time for me to move on - and move on I shall...in (gulp) just 43 days.

No comments:

Post a Comment